The National Qualifications Framework (NQF) Act requires the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) to recognise
professional bodies and register their professional designations on the NQF. This only happens if the professional body meets
the SAQA Policy and Criteria for recognising professional bodies and registering professional designations.
Benefits of being a SAQA recognised professional body:
• Recognition as trusted professional bodies through an Act of Parliament;
• Part of a national database of professional bodies that uphold high standards of competence and ethics;
• Registration of professional designations on the most comprehensive national database of learner achievements;
• Exposure to best practice through access to fora that improve professional bodies functions.
SAQA recognises a professional body if it:
• Complies with, and adheres to, good corporate governance practices;
• Protects the public interest in relation to services provided by its member;s
• Promotes professional development of its members to meet their relevant designation requirements;
• Has a code of conduct for its members to adhere to;
• Does not apply unfair exclusionary practices in terms of membership admission.
See lsit of trusted professional bodies rocognised by SAQA attached below.